Software Engineer, Fraud
Join our small, fiery team on a mission to usher in the Bitcoin Golden Age.
About ShakepayShakepay is on a mission to usher in a Bitcoin golden age, where Canadians have access to Bitcoin-friendly, secure, and rewarding financial services. When Shakepay launched in 2015, it quickly became one of Canada’s fastest-growing financial institutions. Backed by top venture capitalists having raised $44M+ and trusted by over one million Canadians and counting, Shakepay is reimagining banking for the digital age. People who choose careers at Shakepay are helping shape a future of financial inclusion, opportunity, and prosperity for all Canadians.
Software Developer, Fraud
Welcome to the crypto world where money is data and therefore breaches could kill a startup. Have a look at the blockchain graveyard: https://magoo.github.io/Blockchain-Graveyard/.
The tl;dr of your role is having Shakepay never show up there.
This role will play a pivotal part in protecting Shakepay and its customer’s assets and transactions from fraudulent activities. Working closely with cross-functional teams, including Security, IT, Fraud, AML, KYC, Compliance and Product to detect, analyze, and mitigate digital fraud risks. This is an exciting opportunity to shape the future of trust and safety at one of Canada’s leading cryptocurrency companies.
This role will report to the Head of Security.
- Fraud prevention and mitigation: Working closely with Security and the Fraud, AML & KYC teams - you’ll build and implement prevention, detection, and automation tooling and strategies to ensure the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of Shakepay and its customers' digital assets. Some examples of these projects could include:
- Automated reporting and mitigation of Fraudulent activity
- Create high fidelity alerts using existing and custom tooling for suspicious activity on customer accounts, Shakepay systems, etc.
- Automate compliance and regulatory processes to ensure operational efficiency
- Real-time monitoring: Continuously monitor customer and system actions, behaviors, and trends to promptly identify, investigate, and automate mitigation of suspicious activities.
- Threat Intelligence: You will be the expert on the latest trends, emerging threats, and attack techniques and vectors by which digital assets can be fraudulently acted upon.
- Reporting and Documentation: Prepare comprehensive reports and documentation on all of your processes, toolings, investigations, etc.Mentorship: As the technical expert in Fraud prevention and mitigation, work closely with cross-functional team members to ensure that everyone at Shakepay has a basic understanding of how to contribute to your responsibilities.
- Experience engineering and building for fraud, trust & safety, or abuse in a Financial setting
- Strong understanding of Security & Fraud trends, tactics, and emerging threats in Crypto operations
- Experience working with querying languages like SQL to investigate, manipulate, and monitor data
- The ability to take operational blockers and pain points and automate them away
- Excellent communication skills and a strong ability to work cross-functionally
Nice to have
- Knowledge of the technology behind Bitcoin
- Proficiency with Fraud, KYC, AML and regulatory requirements in the Canadian Crypto industry
- Just as comfortable building tools and automating processes as you are investigating complex financial transactions
- Startup experience
- Be part of a groundbreaking journey: you'll live on the frontier of financial innovation. Bitcoin is rewriting the rules, and Shakepay is at the forefront.
- Impact and scale: with only 2% of Canadians on Shakepay, the potential for growth is massive. You can help us bring Shakepay and bitcoin to all Canadians.
- Rewarding benefits: we offer competitive compensation (every shaker owns stock options), benefits (health, dental, paramedical, disability, etc), and generous vacation time.
- Embrace continuous learning: ambitious individuals with an insatiable thirst for knowledge will feel at home. Working at Shakepay means you'll be working in an environment that encourages constant growth and development.
- Get paid in bitcoin: choose to take a percentage of your salary in the hardest, soundest money the world has ever known.
- Work remote: work from anywhere in Canada. If you're in Montreal or Toronto, you can also work from our offices.
We understand that potential can be just as valuable as experience. If you're eager to learn, grow, and contribute to the mission but worry that you may not have the “right” experience, we still want you to apply. We encourage applications from everyone, regardless of background and life experience. We’re firm believers that a little bit of slope makes up for a lot of y-intercept.