Software for pharmacies to move beyond dispensing
About the role
Hi, I’m Bryce, Head of Engineering at MedMe Health. At MedMe, we are passionate about empowering pharmacists to provide services beyond just prescribing for patients in the community. Our mission is to build an all-in-one cloud-based platform that empowers pharmacists to schedule, document, and manage clinical services at scale. We help pharmacies transform into community health hubs.
We are building software for an industry that has relied on pen and paper throughout its history. This is why crafting, building, and constantly improving the end-to-end customer experience is essential. It’s crucial that we listen deeply to the diverse needs of our pharmacies which could be located anywhere from dense urban jungles to small remote communities. We design and build for their needs to ultimately provide more proactive and sustainable care for the patients in their communities.
MedMe has the two largest pharmacy chains in Canada as clients; we are servicing over 3500 pharmacies, and we power over 14 million patient services. We played a critical role across the country throughout the pandemic in getting the larger population vaccinated. MedMe’s ultimate vision is to transform pharmacies from today’s dispensing locations to tomorrow’s health hubs.
MedMe has raised over $3.7M USD including from M12 (Microsoft’s Venture Fund), MaRS IAF, and Y-Combinator.
Our culture is defined by our core values—RICE: Rigorous, Impactful, Caring, and Elegant. We encourage curiosity and autonomy, focus on transformative impact in healthcare, champion open communication and collaboration, and strive for excellence through simplicity. Join our supportive and empowering team in our mission to reshape healthcare through innovation and creativity.
We are an equal opportunity employer, welcoming applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
As a Principal Engineer at MedMe Health, you will be a strong technical leader on the individual contributor (IC) track with deep experience in software development. Your primary responsibility will be to drive technical excellence and innovation in our projects.
At MedMe Engineering, we highly value technical knowledge, effective communication, and sound judgement as core competencies. We entrust our Principal Engineers to leverage these skills in achieving our shared goals across various departments. In essence, we hire smart and responsible individuals, agree on clear objectives, and empower them to make a significant impact.
- Lead the development of web applications using React and NodeJS (both in Typescript) using GraphQL and a Postgres database on AWS infrastructure
- Help improve the quality of our implementations by providing code reviews, system designs, and technical oversight, setting high standards for our team
- Participate in crucial technology decisions to shape the architecture and product roadmap of the company as we scale and serve millions of people across Canada
- Design and implement solutions for specific tickets
- Working with code and project management tools such as Jira
- Ensure our engineering practices follow best principles, strengthening our team and projects
- Collaborate directly with Engineering Leadership and Product Management to drive forward product roadmap, either directly or by supporting emerging leaders on your team
- Mentor colleagues to help them grow and share your insights
- Assist with resource planning, hiring, and onboarding of new team members
Some projects you could expect to work on:
- Creating new patient and pharmacist flows (eg. intakes, modules, features) to meet the needs of both our national enterprises and mom-and-pop pharmacy partners
- Scaling our test environments using the AWS CDK (IaC)
- Working with 3rd party digital health platforms (eg. EHRs/pharmacy software, remote monitoring devices) to facilitate integration and data interoperability that allows pharmacists to deliver more personalized, proactive care
- Building & versioning APIs that are consumed by third parties
Our Tech Stack
- React 17+
- Node.js/Typescript with GraphQL
- AWS infrastructure (CDK or Terraform a plus)
- Typescript (both frontend and backend)
- Dockerized / Container Infrastructure
- Github & Github actions
We value technology problem solvers over technology specialists. In general, you should be comfortable with web applications, understand the presentation layer, state management, service calls and server side business logic, persistence, infrastructure, and so on. If you don’t have material direct experience with specific technologies listed above but have worked on similar types of products in the past, you may still be a good fit for our team.
- You are an experienced full-stack software engineer who has led multiple projects from concept to delivery.
- You are a team player and you enjoy collaborating with your fellow team members to work through ideas and challenges
- You have a growth mindset and you seek out opportunities to grow.
- Your communication style is open, concise, and effective; you can easily explain technical concepts to non-technical parties.
- You care about the products you build and about the people who ultimately use them
- You are looking for an opportunity to grow your people management skills
- You feel comfortable adding value at any point of the software lifecycle
How We Hire
MedMe is committed to a fair and equitable hiring process for all candidates. To ensure that each candidate’s journey is consistent and the selection process is unbiased, the team at MedMe will not be responding to any personal messages regarding this role or other opportunities.
The Interview Process
- Round 1: Phone screen with a member of the Talent team
- Round 2: Virtual 30-minute interview with Head of Engineering
- Round 3a: Virtual 60-minute technical (live coding)
- Round 3b: Virtual 60-minute system design (collaborative)
- Round 4a: Virtual/Onsite 45-minute interview with the team and one of our Founders
- Round 4b: (Optional depending on above) Onsite interview with one of our Founders
Then, references + offer!
Annual Salary ranges from $140,000 - $180,000 CAD + stock options
Perks at MedMe
Flexible health benefit plan Full dental, vision, physical & mental health plus health spending account Performance development support (yearly budget for courses & conferences)
We are fully remote in Canada, however, we like to plan on-site team retreats!
MedMe is a proud equal opportunity workplace that is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We’re looking for motivated and compassionate people who can execute from the ground up and support the work that MedMe believes in.
MedMe is committed to developing an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment process and work environment. Should you require any accommodation, please inform us and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any accessibility-related assistance, requests for information in accessible alternative formats or to report any accessibility problems, please share in your application
About MedMe Health
Closer look at our culture & team: https://www.instagram.com/medmehealth/