We're looking for a client engineer to join the growing team at Heroic Labs. We build an open-source, distributed, highly scalable game server called Nakama.
We are simplifying the lives of game developers and providing incredible technology that can be integrated into any game on any platform as easily as possible. Nakama is already powering many games, including multiple titles on the Top 50 of the app stores.
There is an ever-growing open-source community with many contributors, and third-party plugins and projects. Heroic Labs works with independent developers, mid-tier, AAA game studios and many publicly listed Fortune 500 companies across the globe to power games that individually make over 90 billion requests per month into our infrastructure.
We lean towards candidates who have professional experience building games with Unity and Unreal engine - however if you don't have experience but feel up to the challenge, please do apply!
About The Role
We are looking for client SDK engineers who are excited about growing an open-source cloud-native distributed game server and its ecosystem to join our engineering teams. Working closely with other engineers and product managers on both the cloud and game services teams, you will be part of a collaborative culture striving to make building games at scale faster.
Things You Might Do
- Get intimately involved with all the existing client SDKs (Unity, Unreal, Godot, Defold, JS and more).
- Develop technical expertise in Nakama and accompanying technologies.
- Liaising with, and helping, customers and the community on integrating the client libraries with their projects.
- Build, update and maintain client SDKs with the latest server and engine changes.
- Work in many languages to support as many platforms and engines as possible.
- Give back to the community via open source and blog posts.
- Experiment: this is a startup so engineering innovations can change.
You love building new things. You tinker with new technologies. You love helping developers be more productive. You love automation. You love helping customers solve problems.
- Passion for developer experience, and building first-class developer APIs.
- Experience with building multiplayer games and multiplayer netcode.
- Experience building games or tinkering with game engines at a deep level.
- A passion for working on complex technical problems and have a strong understanding of modern data structures, networking, multi-threading and more.
- Optional: Experience with Go, TypeScript, and other languages.
About Heroic Labs
For the past seven years, Heroic Labs has been on the forefront of providing cutting edge technology to the games and entertainment market. We do this because we love developers and we love games!
We always choose the right tool for the job. We believe that with the right tools, you can have a big impact with less hassle. We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
The Whole Package
Location: Anywhere on the planet with a reliable Internet connection!
If you want to work remote, that's great. If you want to work near others, that's cool too. We have an office in London (UK), but our team members are in Vancouver, New York, Portugal, Edinburgh, and Costa Rica!
- Competitive salary (we don't use remote as an excuse to pay less).
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year (and observe local holidays).
- At least yearly company all-hands and getaways.
- Pick your own equipment. We recommend Macs, but we don't worry if you choose something else!
- Work with a loving team that treats everyone as family.
How to apply
Send an [email hidden] to us with your resume, and a cover letter highlighting why you'd like to join Heroic Labs.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us, even if we don't seem like a good fit. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.