Compensation & Benefits Manager [Parental Leave Cover]
Accounting & Finance
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2023
Hala is a social enterprise working to transform the nature of protection and accountability in the world's toughest places by democratizing advanced defense, sensing, and artificial intelligence technology. Hala is currently saving lives, reducing trauma, and improving resilience for millions of people.
Our team works across the globe and hails from over 15 countries. We speak more than 20 languages and have studied and worked in leading educational, business, research, and government institutions. We are mission-driven thinkers, and we share a deep respect for each other and for the communities that partner with us.
We believe in innovation with purpose, focusing on developing real and applicable technology solutions to the challenges facing the planet. We believe in working ethically and collaboratively and making decisions with transparency. We value flexibility, adaptability, and a good sense of humor.
This position is to cover Hala’s Compensation & Benefits Manager and ensure smooth operational performance during the period of parental leave. You will report directly to the Chief People Officer and work closely with the Learning & Development and Talent Acquisition teams. You will be primarily responsible for managing compensation and benefits for US-based, Portugal-based, and global employees and contractors. The Compensation & Benefits Manager is a fundamental part of Hala’s commitment to being a ‘People-first’ organization.
This is a full-time, fixed-term position located in Lisbon, Portugal, with a yearly base salary range of 60.595€ - 70.595€.
We’ll trust you to:
- Prepare payroll for Hala’s employees and contractors, ensuring compliance with local labor laws, Hala policies, and donor regulations.
- Assist Hala Leadership with timekeeping software and train new hires on timekeeping requirements.
- Provide guidance to the Chief People Officer on best practices in determining compensation structures, including making recommendations on relevant market research tools.
- In conjunction with the Learning & Development Manager, ensure career paths align with individual and business goals.
- Manage benefits across the entire organization, including but not limited to healthcare and paid time off.
- Prepare documentation required for raises and promotions, ensuring they align with pre-determined career paths.
- Assist with the administration of Hala’s performance management system.
- Identify gaps in Hala’s current benefits offerings, and research options, and implement them.
- Approach benefits from an innovative, out-of-the-box perspective that considers the employees holistically.
- Manage equity options, bonuses, and other types of compensation.
- Advocate for internal equity within and between teams while aligning to business goals and donor regulations.
- Evaluate and report on the effectiveness of employee benefit programs.
- Monthly, quarterly, and annual reporting on benefits access and usage and compensation structures.
- Manage software and analytics tools related to compensation and benefits management.
Who you are:
- You believe that people are the key to every successful company and have a track record of acting on that belief; compassionate and empathetic, you have a keen ability to make people feel seen and heard.
- You are a team player who can balance a keen attention to detail with a strategic vision.
- You are energized by working in a global environment and see diversity as a foundational aspect of a positive and safe workplace.
- You anticipate the needs of stakeholders and ask the right questions at the right time.
- You possess high emotional intelligence — providing resiliency, flexibility to work with all personality types, and the ability to keep perspective.
- You can assess and prioritize where best to spend time and energy.
We’d love to see the following:
- Prior experience in a role with similar responsibilities.
- Experience preparing payroll for a Portugal-based company.
- Experience implementing people-focused benefit plans.
- A well-founded understanding of Portuguese labor law pertaining to compensation and benefits.
- Professional working fluency in written and spoken English and Portuguese.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a variety of software packages, including Excel, Google Sheets, and Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS).
- Prior experience or a desire to work cross-culturally, cross-functionally, and collaboratively with remote and distributed teams.
What Hala offers you:
- Life-saving social impact.
- Competitive salaries.
- Unlimited vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when needed. All staff takes at least 22 days off plus holidays, including a mandatory 2-week vacation.
- Comprehensive, worldwide healthcare, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family at no cost.
- Paid parental leave.
- Flexible working policy, including the ability to work from home.
- Computer and other office equipment to help you get your job done.
- A diverse, international community of dedicated, hardworking team players committed to interdisciplinary collaboration and thriving workplace culture.
- Opportunities for international travel, including program locations and satellite offices.
What happens next:
We will review applications and reach out to candidates advancing to the interview stage on a rolling basis. You should expect an initial screening with one member of our Talent Acquisition team, followed by interviews with team members and the manager for this role. Before the final interview, we will also request references to your previous experience, work ethic, and values.
You will receive a confirmation that your application was received, and you’ll also hear back from us whether you’re selected for an interview or not. Please note that we are unable to offer individualized feedback before the first interview round due to the volume of applications we receive.