Senior Data Scientist
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2023
Hala is a social enterprise working to transform the nature of protection and accountability in the world's toughest places by democratizing advanced defense, sensing, and artificial intelligence technology. Hala is currently saving lives, reducing trauma, and improving resilience for millions of people.
Our team works across the globe and hails from over 15 countries. We speak more than 20 languages and have studied and worked in leading educational, business, research, and government institutions. We are mission-driven thinkers, and we share a deep respect for each other and for the communities that partner with us.
We believe in innovation with purpose, focusing on developing real and applicable technology solutions to the challenges facing the planet. We believe in working ethically and collaboratively and making decisions with transparency. We value flexibility, adaptability, and a good sense of humor.
The Senior Data Scientist is an integral part of the Analytics & AI team. They will support the development of audio and image deep learning, and signal processing algorithms for audio processing. They will design, develop, and evaluate high-performing ML models and DSP algorithms for detecting, estimating, enhancing, and classifying audio, speech, and acoustic sensor data.
This is a full-time, long-term position located in Europe, with a yearly base salary range of 155.150€ - 165.150€. This position is also located in the US, with a yearly base salary range of $169,950 - $179,950.
We'll trust you to:
- Design, develop, and evaluate high-performing ML models and DSP algorithms for detecting, estimating, enhancing, and classifying audio, speech, and acoustic sensor data.
- Design, develop and optimize DSP/ML-based audio processing pipelines.
- Develop new audio features for ML classification/recognition tasks.
- Develop new deep learning models, scale up, and optimize the performance of existing models.
Who you are:
- A creative and inquisitive problem solver.
- A highly organized individual with demonstrated ability to work independently.
- A strong communicator in both verbal and written forms, who recognizes the importance of documentation.
- A values-driven, trustworthy, and honest person with a passion for helping people in need.
We’d love to see the following:
- Masters, or Ph.D. Degree in Computer Science, Signal processing, Machine Learning, or equivalent professional experience.
- Solid experience in designing and implementing audio signal processing algorithms (e.g. speech enhancement, noise cancellation/suppression, adaptive filtering, spatialization, blind source separation, and others.)
- Experience applying ML to audio processing problems.
- Strong programming skills in Python (ability to write clean, correct code while iterating on experiments.)
- Strong expertise in TensorFlow and/or PyTorch frameworks.
- Expertise in building custom deep learning models (convolutional networks, recurrent architectures, Transformers, etc.), defining careful objective metrics, and performing error analysis.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Experience or familiarity with speech recognition.
- Experience or familiarity with image recognition.
- Experience or familiarity with parallel processing or distributed programming.
- Experience or familiarity with C or C++ programming.
- Experience or familiarity with Natural Language Processing.
What Hala offers you:
- Life-saving social impact.
- Competitive salaries.
- Unlimited vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when needed. All staff takes at least 22 days off plus holidays, including a mandatory 2-week vacation.
- Comprehensive, worldwide healthcare, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family at no cost.
- Paid parental leave.
- Flexible working policy, including the ability to work from home.
- Computer and other office equipment to help you get your job done.
- A diverse, international community of dedicated, hardworking team players committed to interdisciplinary collaboration and thriving workplace culture.
- Opportunities for international travel, including program locations and satellite offices.
What happens next:
We will review applications and reach out to candidates advancing to the interview stage on a rolling basis. You should expect an initial screening with one member of our Talent Acquisition team, followed by interviews with team members and the manager for this role, concluding with the opportunity to speak with one of our co-founders. Before the final interview, we will also request references to your previous experience, work ethic, and values.
You will receive confirmation that your application was received, and you’ll also hear back from us whether you’re selected for an interview or not. Please note that we are unable to offer individualized feedback before the first interview round due to the volume of applications we receive.