Accounting & Finance
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2023
Waabi, founded by AI pioneer and visionary Raquel Urtasun, is an AI company building the next generation of self-driving technology. With a world class team and an innovative approach that unleashes the power of AI to “drive” safely in the real world, Waabi is bringing the promise of self-driving closer to commercialization than ever before. Waabi is backed by best-in-class investors across the technology, logistics and the Canadian innovation ecosystem.
With offices in Toronto and San Francisco, Waabi is growing quickly and looking for diverse, innovative and collaborative candidates who want to impact the world in a positive way.
To learn more visit: www.waabi.ai
We're looking for a seasoned Staff Accountant to join our team, someone who can lead essential financial functions, drive process improvements, and ensure our financial operations run seamlessly and efficiently.
Manage Month-End Close Process:
- Lead the monthly/annual close processes, including preparation and/or review of journal entries, account reconciliations, financial statements, and various financial analyses to deliver timely, accurate, and insightful reporting in compliance with GAAP.
- Ensure the integrity of all financial records, reconciliations, and reports.
- Collaborate with the finance team to optimize the close process, addressing challenges proactively.
Perform Financial Reporting & Analysis:
- Compile financial statements compliant with GAAP on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis.
- Prepare technical accounting memos for complex accounting issues.
- Deliver insightful variance analyses to unpack financial performance nuances.
- Contribute to budgeting and forecasting efforts.
Execute Account Reconciliation:
- Lead daily bank reconciliations, identifying and rectifying discrepancies.
- Perform monthly corporate credit card reconciliations, aligning transactions with corresponding receipts.
- Manage accounts payable process, including approving of vendor bills and timely payments.
- Helm the monthly general ledger account reconciliations, offering solutions to any inconsistencies.
Lead Scalability and Automation Initiatives:
- Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls and ensure compliance with professional standards, and audit and regulatory requirements.
- Initiate measures to bolster scalable financial operations, pinpointing and rectifying inefficiencies.Partner with finance and IT. departments to advocate for automation, reducing manual interventions.
Conduct Tax Compliance:
- Drive the creation of tax returns (HST, sales tax etc) and compliance documents.Keep abreast of evolving tax regulations, safeguarding Waabi's adherence.
- Support Audits Facilitate interactions with external auditors for a streamlined audit experience.
- Readily provide essential financial documentation and address audit inquiries.
Assess and Improve Internal Controls:
- Assess and enhance accounting frameworks, processes, tools, and control mechanisms.
- Uphold compliance with all relevant financial reporting requirements.
Collaborate with Team:
- Engage with diverse teams to reinforce company-wide objectives.
- As the team grows, there is an opportunity to mentor junior accounting personnel, instilling best practice methodologies.
- Bachelor or Master in Accounting or related field.
- CPA or similar certification preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in Accounting, including exposure to all essential aspects of the month-end close and consolidation process
- Startup experience, trucking industry, and cost accounting experience, are preferred.
- Proficient in different accounting software, including QBO, Netsuite, etc.
- Solid understanding of GAAP & IFRS.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated leadership and team collaboration abilities.
- Excellent communication skills.
The US yearly salary range for this role is: $115,000 - $ 132,000 USD in addition to competitive perks & benefits. Waabi (US) Inc.’s yearly salary ranges are determined based on several factors in accordance with the Company’s compensation practices. The salary base range is reflective of the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Note: The Company provides additional compensation for employees in this role, including equity incentive awards and an annual performance bonus.
Waabi provides a competitive benefits package that includes:
- Competitive compensation and equity awards
- Premium choices for Health and Wellness benefits that include Medical, Vision and Dental coverage
- Unlimited Vacation
- Flexible hours and Work from Home support
- Daily drinks, snacks and catered meals (when in office)
- Regularly scheduled team building activities and social events
- As we grow, this list continues to evolve!
Waabi is a technology start-up building technologies to transform the way the world moves. Join our talented team to be a part of the future and to make an impact!
Waabi is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating a supportive, inclusive, and accessible workplace for all our employees. We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, age, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, military or veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, caregiver status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. We make workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know.