Senior NN Kernel Engineer
Toronto, ON, Canada · Remote
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2023
***Please note: While our engineering HQ is in Toronto, this is a remote opportunity and we welcome applicants from anywhere in North America.***
Untether AI is a rapidly growing Toronto startup building next generation hardware AI accelerators for neural net inference. We are investing in software in a big way in order to make it as seamless as possible for researchers and developers to successfully deploy neural networks on our hardware. It involves optimizing a variety of common neural networks to run on our architectures using our software optimization tool flow. We are looking for software developers who are highly motivated and innately curious. Successful candidate can expect to contribute to small agile teams in core areas and be provided with close mentoring and guidance from senior software engineers. Because we’re building new systems from the ground up, you’ll get to work on new and unsolved problems using state-of-the art technologies.
We are looking for an experienced Neural Network Kernel Software Development Engineer. The objective of the role is to build efficient implementations of real-world neural nets kernels specialized for our unique hardware architecture, as well as implementation of other computing algorithms, maximizing compute and communication throughput. The successful candidate will build a deep understanding of the hardware capabilities, limitations and details of our architecture and work closely with our architects and compiler engineers.
- Design, prototype and implement C++ low-level flexible programs (kernels) for various neural net operations
- Design, document and communicate configuration APIs for these kernels to compiler team
- Communicate performance optimization ideas both to compiler engineers and to architects working on future product generations
- Design overall computation strategies across kernels for multikernel and multi-chip neural net implementations
- Computer Science, Engineering, Math, Physics or related degree, preferably MS or PhD
- Deep knowledge of modern C++ with emphasis on code generation and low level compute optimizations
- Knowledge of Neural Network basic operator algorithms - Convolutions, Transformers, RNNs
- Demonstrated ability to work independently through challenging but tightly constrained problems
- Interest and ability to work with both high level conceptual and very low-level technical details
- Interest in problem-solving within highly structured and tightly constrained environments
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Python experience
- Experience with other AI accelerator programming
- Strong mathematical skills
- Enjoy solving very complex problems (like doing IQ tests, solving tricky math problems)
What are some of the perks that you will receive being part of Untether AI? Aligned to Untether’s philosophy, our employees enjoy the same perks, regardless of role or level. In part, these include:
- Strong health and extended health benefits
- Unlimited sick days
- Stock options
- Building chips and software that will change the world
Thinking about applying?
- We’re a pretty welcoming bunch of people. If we’ve piqued your interest, you’re passionate about the same things we are but you aren’t sure if you check all the boxes, please apply anyway. We’re a great place to work, an even better place to learn and we focus on both capability and potential!
A little bit more about Untether AI
Untether AI has developed a groundbreaking new architecture that brings neural net inference to new levels of performance and efficiency. We’ve already sold our product to smart clients who want to get in at ground zero. We’ve done this while continuing to improve our technology creating ultra-efficient, high performance AI chips that eliminates the data movement bottleneck that costs energy and performance in traditional architectures. We’re a team made up of scientists, engineers and entrepreneurs and have the support of tier one investors. We recently received $125 million in our series B funding round which enables us to expand our customer engagements, enhance our software offering, and build the next generation of industry leading AI inference products. Join us to be part of something big - a chance to create the future of AI.