Mechanical Engineer/Biomedical Engineer
Myo Palate is a cellular agriculture company developing sustainable meat products. We nurture cells to make meat, instead of growing the entire animal.
We are a team of scientists, engineers, and food lovers applying cutting-edge biotechnologies to achieve a common mission: making meat sustainable and accessible for everyone.
We are looking for a mechanical/biomedical engineer who is passionate and detail-oriented to work with our team and improve the quality of our meat fibers. In this role, you will be collaborating with our team of senior scientists to conceptualize, design, and engineer production-scale bioreactors. These bioreactors play a crucial role in the cultivation and maturation of muscle cells, integral to our advanced bioproduction process. Additionally, your expertise will be essential in maintaining and troubleshooting laboratory equipment, ensuring efficient lab operations.
The ideal candidate for this position will exhibit exceptional organizational skills, a proactive approach, and a strong commitment to achieving goals. The candidate should thrive in a fast-paced environment and contribute to the mission of the company.
Position: full-time, salaried
Salary: 80-100k CAD (adjusted based on experience and qualifications)
Ideal Start Date: January 1, 2024
As a potential Mechanical or Biomedical Engineer at Myo Palate, you should have:
- A B.Eng./B.ASc. in Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, or Engineering Science. A MASc or PhD in Biomedical Engineering is highly desirable.
- Proficiency in design and analysis tools, such as AutoCAD, SolidWorks, and MATLAB.
- Hands-on experience with rapid prototyping and fabrication techniques like 3D printing, laser cutting, and CNC milling.
- Knowledge of materials science, mechanical testing, and characterization methods.
- Basic understanding of cell culture, with a bonus for experience in muscle cell culture.
- Familiarity with scale-up strategies, including stirred-tank and perfusion bioreactors, and expertise in fluid dynamics and custom bioreactor development is a plus.
- Skills in data analysis and summarization.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal abilities.
- Passion for the field and a sense of ownership in your work.
- Capability to manage complex projects effectively in a dynamic environment.
- A critical mindset towards both your work and our bioprocesses.
About your Responsibilities
A list of representative responsibilities are listed here. A more detailed list of responsibilities will be shared after an NDA is in place.
- Engage in rapid prototyping of cell-compatible platforms, collaborating closely with our scientific team.
- Conduct in vitro cell culture experiments to validate initial design concepts.
- Present scientific findings to peers during group meetings and prepare presentations for internal and external audiences as needed.
- Play an active role in fostering a culture that values scientific excellence, integrity, urgency, and community.
Myo Perks and Benefits
- Participation in the employee stock option plan is part of the offer. We want you to be proud of your work and be part of our success
- Comprehensive health benefits package. We want you to feel your best when working at Myo
- Company wide and team based social events
- Newly renovated downtown lab located in King West. Steps away from the life of Toronto
- Work with a team of world class scientists and push the frontiers of science