Vice President of Engineering
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2023
Kepler is on an audacious mission: to bring the internet to space. Founded in 2015, our ambition is to provide internet connectivity in space, whether in LEO, MEO, GEO, or beyond. With an expanding base of early customers and our first 23 satellites in orbit, Kepler is continuing to grow and expand its most important asset – the Team!
As the Vice President of Engineering at Kepler, you will lead and mentor our engineering team, fostering a culture of excellence, collaboration, and innovation. You will have the opportunity to identify and develop exceptional engineering talent, as you help drive our mission to bring the Internet to space. Our ideal candidate has a strong experience working on a complex requirements driven solution (DoD 5000.x experience preferred). The preferred candidate has developed through the ranks with diverse solution demonstrations and ideally experience as a chief engineer. Also required are proven leadership skills and a passion for driving innovation in a fast-paced, agile environment.
- Lead and mentor a cross-functional engineering team at Kepler for the development, design, and successful implementation of cutting-edge satellite systems.
- Take ownership of the growth and accountability within the engineering team, developing their skills, and sharing their responsible for deliverables.
- Act as a change agent to assess and refine current engineering procedures, policies and architectures that better position Kepler to dominate in space communications
- Oversee the engineering budget, effectively managing resource allocation and optimizing investments in line with organizational goals.
- Represent the company in technical discussions, industry conferences, and customer meetings, promoting the brand and building relationships.
- Collaborate closely with non-engineering teams, including program management, operations, and business development to ensure the implementation of the right engineering solutions and successful product launches.
- Extensive experience maturing product from TRL-3 to TRL–9 working in concert with production.
- Monitor market conditions and competitive landscape, providing insights and recommendations for strategic decision-making.
- Identify top engineering talent, conducting thorough interviews, and playing a key role in hiring decisions.
- Ensure the productivity and job satisfaction of the engineering team, fostering an environment of continuous learning and innovation.
- Minimum Bachelor's degree in Engineering, preferably in Mechanical, GNC or Electrical Engineering, or a related field.
- Over 10-15 years of relevant work experience, including a minimum of 5 years in a senior leadership role within a fast-paced technology company or start-up environment.
- Experience managing teams of 25-100 engineers.
- Demonstrated expertise in managing complex engineering products, from concept to commercial deployment.
- Strong leadership and technical skills, with the ability to inspire and motivate a highly skilled, technical workforce.
- Excellent strategic thinking and problem-solving capabilities, with a track record of driving innovation and achieving technical advancements.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, with the ability to effectively share complex technical concepts with both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Prior experience overseeing a complex requirements driven project for government customers.
Kepler Communications Inc. is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We welcome applications from: women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, visible minorities, people who identify as LGBT and others who may contribute to diversification in our workplace.
As part of our commitment to accessibility for all persons with disabilities, Kepler will, upon the request of the applicant, provide accommodation during the recruitment process to ensure equal access to applicants with disabilities. Please contact our People & Culture team, through our Career Page to make your accommodation needs known and we will consult with you to ensure suitable accommodation is provided.