Director of Accounting
Accounting & Finance
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2023
Hala is a social enterprise working to transform the nature of protection and accountability in the world's toughest places by democratizing advanced defense, sensing, and artificial intelligence technology. Hala is currently saving lives, reducing trauma, and improving resilience for millions of people.
Our team works across the globe and hails from over 15 countries. We speak more than 20 languages and have studied and worked in leading educational, business, research, and government institutions. We are mission-driven thinkers, and we share a deep respect for each other and for the communities that partner with us.
We believe in innovation with purpose, focusing on developing real and applicable technology solutions to the challenges facing the planet. We believe in working ethically and collaboratively and making decisions with transparency. We value flexibility, adaptability, and a good sense of humor.
The Director of Accounting will lead Hala’s Accounting team and report directly to the CFO. You will be responsible for establishing and maintaining all financial policies and procedures, ensuring adequate internal controls are adhered to, and producing accurate and timely consolidated financial statements. You will manage all day-to-day accounting functions and will be responsible for building and improving accounting processes, including financial reporting, close processes, audits, and business process controls. This is a high-visibility role where you will support executive leadership and help grow the accounting team.
This is a full-time, long-term position located in Lisbon, Portugal, with a yearly base salary range of 96.800€ - 106.800€. This position is also located on the US East Coast, with a yearly base salary range of $126,195 - $136,195.
We'll trust you to:
- Oversee all accounting operations including A/P, A/R, cost accounting, bookkeeping, revenue recognition, month-end close, consolidated financial reporting, petty cash, and other related functions across Hala’s US and Portuguese entities.
- Produce consolidated financial statements in accordance with U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) on a timely basis.
- Ensure quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the accounting team and strategically build Hala’s accounting capacity as the company grows.
- Serve as the company's expert on financial accounting matters and provide guidance on technical accounting decisions and associated documentation.
- Prepare and publish relevant financial reports for management, including monthly dashboards, aging reports, expenditure analysis, and others.
- Manage and comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings with assistance from relevant local tax professionals.
- Lead the accounting team to implement scalable processes and continuously drive improvements in the close process.
- Coordinate and manage the external financial audit process, serving as primary liaison with auditor leadership and external consultants.
- Develop and execute Hala’s accounting development strategy and structure to prepare for growth and significant financial events, including moving to a more robust accounting software platform.
- Maintain and ensure adherence to Hala’s accounting and financial policies and procedures.
- Forge strong partnerships with other teams throughout the organization.
- Partner with the FP&A function to develop, automate and scale internal and external reporting packages.
- Other Director of Accounting duties as necessary.
Who you are:
- You have deep expertise in accounting and possess a balance of strategic thinking skills combined with a willingness to roll up your sleeves and dive into the details.
- You are a problem-solver who will continually look for ways to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of our processes.
- You have a strong work ethic and demonstrated ability to independently prioritize workload based on organizational needs/demands.
- You pay attention to details, are organized, and have a proven ability to deliver accuracy in the team’s work products.
- You are a curious learner who can adapt quickly and is comfortable dealing with ambiguity.
- You enjoy managing and mentoring others.
- You are kind, empathetic, compassionate, and ethical.
We'd love to see the following:
- A university degree in Accounting, or a related field.
- Prior experience as a Director of Accounting or in relevant senior accounting positions.
- At least 10 years of US GAAP accounting experience with an in-depth knowledge of reporting, reconciliation, auditing, and tax preparation.
- CPA certification is strongly preferred (will consider non-CPAs based on experience).
- Familiarity with US Government cost accounting principles and/or non-profit accounting.
- Familiarity with multi-entity structures and consolidated financial reporting of business units with different functional currencies.
- Experience building and leading a world-class accounting team and infrastructure in a rapid-growth environment.
- Experience migrating and launching accounting systems.
- Experience in building cross-functional relationships and partnering with senior leaders.
- Demonstrated proficiency working with Google and MS Office programs, particularly Google Sheets and Excel.
- Professional working fluency in written and spoken English.
- Prior experience or a desire to work cross-culturally, cross-functionally, and collaboratively with remote and distributed teams.
What Hala offers you:
- Life-saving social impact.
- Competitive salaries.
- Unlimited vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when needed. All staff takes at least 22 days off plus holidays, including a mandatory 2-week vacation.
- Comprehensive, worldwide healthcare, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family at no cost.
- Paid parental leave.
- Flexible working policy, including the ability to work from home.
- Computer and other office equipment to help you get your job done.
- A diverse, international community of dedicated, hardworking team players committed to interdisciplinary collaboration and thriving workplace culture.
- Opportunities for international travel, including program locations and satellite offices.
If something important to you isn’t on this list, please ask!
What happens next:
We will review applications and reach out to candidates advancing to the interview stage on a rolling basis. You should expect an initial screening with one member of our Talent Acquisition team, followed by interviews with team members and the manager for this role, concluding with the opportunity to speak with one of our co-founders. Before the final interview, we will also request references to your previous experience, work ethic, and values.
You will receive a confirmation that your application was received, and you’ll also hear back from us whether you’re selected for an interview or not. Please note that we are unable to offer individualized feedback before the first interview round due to the volume of applications we receive.