Finance & Accounting Co-op (Winter 2024)
Accounting & Finance
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2023
Who are we?
Cohere is focused on building and deploying large language model (LLM) AI into enterprises in a safe and responsible way that drives human productivity, and creates magical new ways to interact with technology and real business value. We’re a team of highly motivated and experienced engineers, innovators, and disruptors looking to change the face of technology.
Our goals are ambitious, but also concrete and practical. Cohere wants to fundamentally change how businesses operate, making everyone more productive and able to focus on doing better what they do best. Every day, our team breaks new ground, as we build transformational AI technology and products for enterprise and developers to harness the power of LLMs.
Cohere was founded by three global leaders in AI development, including our CEO, Aidan Gomez, who co-created the Transformer, which makes LLMs possible. Collectively, we're driven by the belief that our technology has the potential to revolutionize the way enterprises, their employees, and customers engage with technology through language.
Cohere’s broader research team is world-renowned, having contributed to the development of sentence transformers for semantic search, dynamic adversarial data collection and red teaming, and retrieval augmented generation, often referred to as “RAG,” among other technological breakthroughs.
We have been deliberate in assembling a team of operational leaders with industry-leading experience, with backgrounds working at the most sophisticated, demanding, and respected enterprises in the world. Cohere’s operational leaders have built, scaled, and led multi-billion product lines and businesses at Google, Apple, Rakuten, YouTube, AWS, and Cisco.
The Cohere team is a collective from all walks of life, from people who left college to start businesses, to some of the most experienced people from globally renowned companies. We believe a diverse team is the key to a safer, more responsible technology, and that different experiences and backgrounds enable us to tackle problems from all angles and avoid blindspots.
There’s no better time to play a role in defining the future of AI, and its impact on the world.
Why this role?
We are currently seeking a dedicated and detail-oriented co-op Student to join Cohere’s finance and accounting team. This position provides an excellent opportunity for a student to gain practical experience and contribute to various accounting functions.
Please Note: We have offices in Toronto, Palo Alto and London but embrace being remote-first!
In this role you will be responsible for:
- Assisting in maintaining accurate and up-to-date general ledger entries, recording financial transactions accurately and promptly
- Analyzing and monitoring spend, updating and altering reporting to deliver to operational leads
- Preparing budget vs. actual reporting on departmental spend
- Reconciling ledger accounts monthly to ensure accuracy and identify discrepancies, and work with team members to resolve any issues
- Processing incoming invoices and ensuring accurate coding and approval
- Monitoring accounts payable to ensure timely payments and resolve discrepancies
- Aiding in the preparation of documentation for internal and external audits
- Contributing to the preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements
- Assisting in implementation of finance tools and other special projects
- Support ad-hoc FP&A and accounting requests
You may be a good fit if:
- Currently enrolled in a Bachelor's or Master's degree co-op program in Accounting, Finance, or a related field
- You have strong analytical skills and are able to work in fast-changing environment
- You are comfortable working through ambiguous situations and managing multiple priorities
If some of the above doesn’t line up perfectly with your experience, we still encourage you to apply! If you consider yourself a thoughtful worker, a lifelong learner, and a kind and playful team member, Cohere is the place for you.
We value and celebrate diversity and strive to create an inclusive work environment for all. We welcome applicants of all kinds and are committed to providing an equal opportunity process. Cohere provides accessibility accommodations during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
🤝 An open and inclusive culture and work environment
🧑💻 Work closely with a team on the cutting edge of AI research
🍽 Free daily lunch
🦷 Full health and dental benefits, including a separate budget to take care of your mental health
🎨 Personal enrichment benefits towards arts and culture, fitness and well-being
🏙 Remote-flexible, offices in Toronto, Palo Alto, and London and coworking stipend
✈️ Paid vacation