Data Annotator/ AI Data Trainer - STEM (part-time)
Software Engineering, IT, Data Science
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2023
Who are we?
Cohere is focused on building and deploying large language model (LLM) AI into enterprises in a safe and responsible way that drives human productivity, and creates magical new ways to interact with technology and real business value. We’re a team of highly motivated and experienced engineers, innovators, and disruptors looking to change the face of technology.
Our goals are ambitious, but also concrete and practical. Cohere wants to fundamentally change how businesses operate, making everyone more productive and able to focus on doing better what they do best. Every day, our team breaks new ground, as we build transformational AI technology and products for enterprise and developers to harness the power of LLMs.
Cohere was founded by three global leaders in AI development, including our CEO, Aidan Gomez, who co-created the Transformer, which makes LLMs possible. Collectively, we're driven by the belief that our technology has the potential to revolutionize the way enterprises, their employees, and customers engage with technology through language.
Cohere’s broader research team is world-renowned, having contributed to the development of sentence transformers for semantic search, dynamic adversarial data collection and red teaming, and retrieval augmented generation, often referred to as “RAG,” among other technological breakthroughs.
We have been deliberate in assembling a team of operational leaders with industry-leading experience, with backgrounds working at the most sophisticated, demanding, and respected enterprises in the world. Cohere’s operational leaders have built, scaled, and led multi-billion product lines and businesses at Google, Apple, Rakuten, YouTube, AWS, and Cisco.
The Cohere team is a collective from all walks of life, from people who left college to start businesses, to some of the most experienced people from globally renowned companies. We believe a diverse team is the key to a safer, more responsible technology, and that different experiences and backgrounds enable us to tackle problems from all angles and avoid blindspots.
There’s no better time to play a role in defining the future of AI, and its impact on the world.
Why this role?
We are on a mission to build machines that understand the world and make them safely accessible to all. Data quality is foundational to this process. Machines (or Large Language Models to be exact) learn in similar ways to humans - by way of feedback. By labelling, ranking, auditing, and correcting text output, you will improve Large Language Model’s performance for iterations to come, thus having a lasting impact on Cohere’s tech.
This role will have you focus on one of 2 specializations - code/engineering or science and math.
Please Note: This is a part-time contract position based out of our Toronto office. We are looking for candidates who are able to commit to 20 hours per week at a $30-40/hour contract rate (commensurate with experience). Our Toronto office is dog-friendly, conveniently located, and has a great snack selection. This role is BYOD 💻 - Bring Your Own Device (laptop). Once training is completed, this role is hybrid. Performance incentives included!
As a Senior Data Quality Specialist in STEM, you will:
- Label, rank, audit, and correct machine learning data with a focus on science, math or code related content
- Complete reading and science, math, or coding based tasks in an efficient and attentive manner
- Complete preference-based tasks to evaluate which responses best follow our style guide
- Recommend optimization opportunities
- Provide feedback to cross-functional team members
- Maintain a close attention to detail, while performing repetitive and precise tasks.
You may be a good fit if you have:
- Subject matter expertise in Science, Math or Software Engineering - you have both studied in these fields and have practical experience applying them in a workplace
- Strong reading and writing skills - which you are ready to prove on our written test
- Deep attention to detail and commitment to accuracy - you’re the type to proofread all of your emails!
- High tolerance for repetitive and monotonous work
- Ability to follow complex instructions, navigate ambiguity and work independently
- Superb sense of urgency and time management
- A reliable laptop to work from
The Candidate Journey:
- Initial Screening - Once you have submitted your application our Talent Team will review your resume and writing samples.
- Virtual Meet & Greet - If selected to move forward, you will have a short video call with a member of our Annotation Army!
- Practical Assessment - This assignment will test your written skill through various language-based tasks, such as a a writing sample, interacting with a chat bot, and more.
- Offer - Independent Contractor Agreement
Prospective candidates, please be advised: this role may involve exposure to Not Safe For Work (NSFW) content, including explicit, offensive, or other inappropriate material.
We value and celebrate diversity and strive to create an inclusive work environment for all. We welcome applicants of all kinds and are committed to providing an equal opportunity process. Cohere provides accessibility accommodations during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
🤝 An open and inclusive culture and work environment
🧑💻 Work with cutting-edge AI technology
🪴 A vibrant & central location
🥨 A great selection of office snacks
🏆 Performance-based incentives