Software Engineering, Data Science
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2023
Who are we?
Cohere is focused on building and deploying large language model (LLM) AI into enterprises in a safe and responsible way that drives human productivity, and creates magical new ways to interact with technology and real business value. We’re a team of highly motivated and experienced engineers, innovators, and disruptors looking to change the face of technology.
Our goals are ambitious, but also concrete and practical. Cohere wants to fundamentally change how businesses operate, making everyone more productive and able to focus on doing better what they do best. Every day, our team breaks new ground, as we build transformational AI technology and products for enterprise and developers to harness the power of LLMs.
Cohere was founded by three global leaders in AI development, including our CEO, Aidan Gomez, who co-created the Transformer, which makes LLMs possible. Collectively, we're driven by the belief that our technology has the potential to revolutionize the way enterprises, their employees, and customers engage with technology through language.
Cohere’s broader research team is world-renowned, having contributed to the development of sentence transformers for semantic search, dynamic adversarial data collection and red teaming, and retrieval augmented generation, often referred to as “RAG,” among other technological breakthroughs.
We have been deliberate in assembling a team of operational leaders with industry-leading experience, with backgrounds working at the most sophisticated, demanding, and respected enterprises in the world. Cohere’s operational leaders have built, scaled, and led multi-billion product lines and businesses at Google, Apple, Rakuten, YouTube, AWS, and Cisco.
The Cohere team is a collective from all walks of life, from people who left college to start businesses, to some of the most experienced people from globally renowned companies. We believe a diverse team is the key to a safer, more responsible technology, and that different experiences and backgrounds enable us to tackle problems from all angles and avoid blindspots.
There’s no better time to play a role in defining the future of AI, and its impact on the world.
Why this role?
As an AI Engineer (a Member of Technical Staff role on our Forward Deployed team) you will work directly with customers to quickly understand their greatest problems and design and implement solutions using Large Language Models.
You’ll apply your problem-solving ability, creativity, and technical skills to close the last-mile gap in Enterprise AI adoption. You’ll be able to deliver products like early startup CTOs/CEOs do and disrupt some of the most important industries and institutions globally!
In this role, you will:
- Own and build large new areas within our product.
- Work across backend, frontend, and customize Large Language Models.
- Experiment at a high velocity and level of quality to engage our customers and eventually deliver solutions that exceed their expectations.
- Work across the entire product lifecycle from conceptualization through production.
This career opportunity may be a good match for you if you have:
- 3+ years of model training, deployment, and maintenance in a production environment.
- Strong skills in NLP and deep learning.
- Experience scaling products at hyper-growth startup.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability and interest to travel up to 25%, as needed to client sites, but flexible based on personal preferences.
Nice to have skills/experiences:
- Experience improving LLM performance for custom domains via fine tuning or RLHF.
- Experience in Information Retrieval systems for document question answering.
- Experience in day-to-day NLP for industry using Python and related toolchains (SpaCy, HuggingFace, NLTK, etc.).
- Published research in areas of machine learning at major conferences and/or journals.
If some of the above doesn’t line up perfectly with your experience, we still encourage you to apply! If you consider yourself a thoughtful worker, a lifelong learner, and a kind and playful team member, Cohere is the place for you.
We value and celebrate diversity and strive to create an inclusive work environment for all. We welcome applicants of all kinds and are committed to providing an equal opportunity process. Cohere provides accessibility accommodations during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
🤝 An open and inclusive culture and work environment
🧑💻 Work closely with a team on the cutting edge of AI research
🍽 Free daily lunch
🦷 Full health and dental benefits, including a separate budget to take care of your mental health
🐣 100% Parental Leave top-up for 6 months for employees based in Canada, the US, and the UK
🎨 Personal enrichment benefits towards arts and culture, fitness and well-being, quality time, and workspace improvement
🏙 Remote-flexible, offices in Toronto, Palo Alto, San-Francisco and London and co-working stipend
✈️ 6 weeks of vacation
Note: This post is co-authored by both Cohere humans and Cohere technology.