Principal Software Engineer
About Altis Labs
Altis Labs is the computational imaging company advancing precision medicine with AI. We believe that medical imaging is the richest data modality to generate clinical insight. Scientists use our AI-powered software platform, Nota, to accelerate clinical research by more accurately measuring the effect of novel treatments. Trained on over 222 million images with associated clinical information, our deep learning models hosted on Nota predict clinically meaningful outcomes. Legacy data interpretation methods have confined scientists to slow, risky, and expensive drug development requiring more than $2 billion and 10 years to get a new treatment to patients in need.
Our multi-disciplinary team of data scientists, engineers, clinicians, and business operators is on a mission to help get the most effective treatment to patients sooner.
Founded in 2019, Altis is a venture-backed company headquartered in Toronto. We are actively growing our team in Canada and the US across functional areas.
About the Position
Altis is recruiting an experienced Principal Software Engineer with an entrepreneurial and product-focused mindset. Reporting to the CEO, you will be a player and coach leading the software engineering team and collaborating closely with our ML and data teams to scale our web-based software product. We're looking for someone who can roll up their sleeves and demonstrates versatility and resourcefulness. You proactively seek solutions, take initiative to overcome challenges, and embrace failures through rapid iteration.
This is a full-time position with flexibility to work either remotely or at our office in Toronto. We expect responsibilities will be dynamic and expand as we strive to meet our team’s and clients’ needs.
Responsibilities & Expectations
- Lead the 4-person software engineering team to develop and maintain robust, test-driven, and scalable single-page web applications with React, Node.js, and Python.
- Engage closely with internal and external stakeholders to understand requirements and translate them into value- and evidence-oriented engineering goals.
- Support and collaborate with the ML team to enable containerized cloud infrastructure, computer vision ML pipelines, and microservices for data ingestion.
- 7+ years of professional software engineering experience with a track record of building applications in a production environment and managing teams successfully.
- Technical ability encompassing all aspects of web-based software including frontend/backend development, database design, continuous integration/deployment, software/network security, cloud architecture design, and DevOps.
- Experience with React, GraphQL, Python, Docker, AWS, IaC (Terraform, etc.), Celery.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
Nice to Have
- Past experience in the medical technology domain (DICOM, etc.)
- Familiarity with computer vision and machine learning applications/pipelines.
- Competitive pay and generous equity participation
- Coverage for medical, vision, and dental insurance
- 4 weeks of vacation per year
- Flexible work organization and access to remote work